Monday, November 2, 2009

MORE house demo

So we've been pretty busy at the house! We're getting close to the end of demo- which is exciting for me, because I don't know how much more my body can take. Here is what has been going on:

We finally finished demo-ing out the bathrooms! Well, NATHAN finished. He's awesome.


We even got the tile ripped out.



We've got plumbers coming this week to get the new shower and tub stuff put in.

Nathan also ripped out some cabinets in the kitchen- not for good though. Since there were drain issues, there was also a lot of rotting wood. So Nathan only took them out so he can fix/re-frame them. He is going to do the same thing for the bathroom vanities.



We also finally got around to scraping popcorn ceilings. Oh my goodness!! That is the most awful job EVER! Not fun. The goobers who lived in the house before painted over the popcorn- which made even harder to remove.
Nathan figured out a trick to make it easier...AFTER I had done it the hard way on my own in one of the bedrooms. He realized that if he took the scraper and lightly scraped off some of the paint, and then sprayed it down with water, I came off in sheets. I had done it dry! I was sooooo sore! ... I am STILL sore!



Nathan is a ceiling scraping champion! He's such a hard worker- and he never complains.

This is the floor of one of the bedrooms after we had finished scraping the ceilings.

Nathan and I were only able to get the three bedrooms done while he was off work on Friday- So lucky for me- my fabulous father was willing to come on Saturday- Halloween- to help his poor, super sore daughter finish scraping the family room.


I let Dad in on Nathan's trick, and we got the job done pretty quickly. My dad did most of the hard work because my arms were sore and weak from doing the hard work the day before. It was nice to have someone else there to talk to too.


It's done now- that's the most important part. And I hope I never have to do it again! It was really tough work, but since it's MY house, I was willing to endure whatever I had to, to get it done. I just keep trying to tell myself how fabulous it will look when it's all done!


My dad insisted that we sweep all the ceiling debris into piles and make it look all neat and tidy. Our trash can was full, so we have to leave it there until trash day.


Once we had finished the ceilings, we made an appointment with the dry wall guys to come in and re-texture the ceilings and to do some repairs on the larger holes we have around the house.
Now, I am not 100% sure, but I think the only things we have left, as far as demo goes, is to rip out the baseboards and possibly to rip out the tile in the rest of the house.
With everything all ripped up like this, it's hard for me to think that in less than a month we are planning on being completely moved in and LIVING here! My anxious to see it all come together.

1 comments:

Kassi said...

Just looking at the pictures of you guys doing that makes me kinda sore! But now you have fabulous ceiling!