Friday, December 11, 2009

a long over due update!

Alright, well I don't know if I should call this an update or not, because this post will not bring you fully up to date. I mentioned in my last post our laptop died so I haven't been able to blog for quite a while. To make matters worse, last week our adorable little Dave puppy decided that it might be fun to chew up mommy's very nice touch screen phone which had a lot of house pictures on it. So these pictures are kind of spastic and don't tell the whole story, but it will catch you up a little bit on what I didn't get to post.


We ripped out all of the tile! The hideous mess of a floor is finally all gone. We start with just the hallway, which is what this is a picture of. Then we went out and bought some laminate wood flooring and got the hallway finished so that the carpet guys could come in get carpet in the bedrooms. Busting out the tile and scraping up the thin-set stuff underneath seemed to take forever! It might have even been worse than scraping popcorn ceilings.

A week or so later, we finally started to bust out the rest of the tile in the living room, dining area, and kitchen. Lucky for Nathan, when I left him doing that awful job to go run some errands, a neighbor from down the street knocked on the door; he came right on in with a few tools to make the job easier. Turns out, this neighbor does flooring as his profession- so he knew all the tricks. He helped Nathan out, and by the time I got back, the entire front of the house was almost completely done!

While we were busy ripping tile out of most of the house, the two bathrooms actually got new tile. When we went to the tile store, Nathan and I both reached for this tile at the same time- so we knew it was meant to be. This picture isn't fantastic, but in case you can't tell- it's a reddish toned tan 16" tile. WAY better than the 12" whitish junk that was throughout the house before.

We put the new tile in all by ourselves. We had to rent a tile saw and everything. I had taken a bunch of pictures and this was going to be its own glorious post, but alas, the tiling pics were on my now demolished cell phone. Dang it!

One weekend, Rod and Marvin came over and built some fantabulous shelving our closets. I absolutely love it! This is a picture of the shelves in the guest bedroom- our biggest closet. Later on down the line, I had the not so super fun task of painting all the shelves white. Ugh. That was a monotonous job! But I must admit that all the closets do look fantastic now!


Um...this is a picture of Nathan... I am not quite sure what he is doing because it has been so long since I took it. I think he might be putting the new handle on the toilet. We went ahead and bought new brushed nickle handles for the toilets since most everything else in the bathroom has a brushed nickle finish.


And then came painting; the job I was most excited to do at the start, that I now despise! Seriously- I was psyched to pick out paint colors and transform the inside of my new home with a roller and paint brush. That is why Kassi and I are smiling in these pictures.

These were taken on like day 3 of painting I think. Well, a few weeks later and I am still doing touch up and edging and I am sick of it! Once this house is done, I would be perfectly content to not pick up another painting implement for the next 3 to 5 years! But again, even though the job sucked- the finish product is pretty awesome. I love love love my paint colors!

Oh yeah, I had to paint these babies too- another huge pain! While I might be willing to paint some walls in 3-5 years, I never want to paint a door EVER again. We lined them all up around the walls in the front room and painted every one of them- with at least 3 coats! Blasted cold weather and smooth surfaces- making my painting life miserable. I don't think I did a very super job on them, but they look ok. I love the style too- I like it much better the traditional 6 panel look.


We got a fabulous new shower door put in- with the brushed nickle finish of course. It looks very nice. I am pleased; probably because it was installed for us and I didn't have to do anything. =p


I am not exactly sure why I took this picture either. I might have been trying to show the floor- or maybe the new vanity top, or even the awesome light fixture I picked out (which doesn't have the shades on it right now, due to the huge ball light bulb that are in it. We keep forgetting to bring the right bulbs from home.) Anyway, this is a picture of the hallway bathroom. Not quite finished, but getting there.


This is a picture of the back bedroom that will be an office/craft room when we move in. It was the one with the bugs bunny light switch plate. I am pretty sure I took this picture to show off our new carpet and the ceiling fan. Everything in the bedrooms are new now. They look really awesome. You would never know it was the same house.

And last, but not least on this home update- our fabulous new lighting fixture in the hallway! Ooooooooh! Aaaaaaaah!
This now completes the tour of my camera's memory card from the past few weeks. Please tune in next week when I can show you some finished rooms, new cabinet hardware, my wonderful wood floors, and more!!

1 comments:

Kassi said...

I don't know if I told you this on Saturday but your house is so fabulous!! I can't wait until it is 100% done and we can make cookies!! You and Nathan did a fabulous job!