Saturday, May 23, 2009

playing mommy & daddy

The weekend we saw the d-backs was just a fun filled weekend for us. The next day we got to play mommy and daddy to my little nieces Melody and Bethany while my sister and her husband went out and had some grown-up time.

I met up with Jessica and Jon and the rest of the family at the Cheesecake Factory for a Mother's Day lunch. It was a lot of fun, I wish Nathan could have been there- but he had to work. =(

Cute story from lunch time: Mel and Beth got a grilled cheese sandwich to share- Mel collected the toothpicks from everyone else's sandwiches and stuck then in her half the grilled cheese and said "Look! It's a birfday cake! Happy birfday!"

After lunch I officially had the girls, and Jessica and Jon took off to do their thang. Our first stop was Uncle Nathan's work- we brought him lunch. I have a whole new appreciation for single parents! Getting the two toddlers out of the car and walking, with lunch, from the parking lot to the store was a lot more work than I thought it would be. It's wasn't super hard or anything, it's just quite the juggling act.

Later we stopped by target and spent the most worth while $2 ever. I bought each of the girls a simple pinwheel and they had a blast with them. With all the super fun, more expenisive toys there are- I think we forget how fun the simple things are sometimes. They played with them all day. We also got play-do, which was also put to good use.

Once Uncle Nathan got home from work, we had all kinds of fun. We went to a surprise party for Nathan's sister, Amy; we had a yummy dinner; we watched the Aristocats; we made Mother's Day presents for Jessica. It was a good time.

Since we don't have a bed in the guest room yet, we let the girls sleep in our room on the bed and Nathan and I had a slumber party in the front room. Mel woke up crying a couple times in the night, but Bethany slept like a rock all night long. She didn't even flinch when her sister woke up.

Just before 7:00 am the next morning Melody woke up. When I walked in the bedroom she said, very enthusiastically, "Good Morning Tarin!!" She always wakes up such a happy girl- I love it. I hope my kids are like that. Beth woke up about 15 minutes later and we had one of their favorite food for breakfast. Yogurt!



Messy, but delicious


Beth had some issues with the spoon, but she ate it all up!


Uncle Nathan wasn't quite ready to get up yet.



After breakfast, I got the girl's all dressed and ready for the day. It was fun doing their hair, but it didn't stay pretty for very long, I didn't have hair spray and they are very active little buggers. They still looked super cute for their mommy on Mother's Day though.


Melody looks so pretty with her hair down.

Bethany looked super cute too- she always looks so serious.

And here is Melody's Mother's Day gift for Jessica. We made hand print flowers! Aren't they cute?!


Bethany's turned out a little bit better than Mel's because she was a bit more cooperative with Nathan. Mel wanted to do it more herself and didn't want to wait for Nathan's help. It goes with the age though, I think. Jessica love them though- and that's all that really matters.


It was fun to have the girlies for a little a while, but it's nice to be able to give them back to their parents.

0 comments: