Thursday, April 23, 2009

way to be miss cali!

I just had to post about this- unbelievable! For those of you who don't know about this Miss California controversy- here's the clip:





First of all, I have to give major kudos to Miss California. I would have hated to be put in the position that she was- being asked a politically charged question about gay marriage by a very popular, openly gay pop culture blogger on national television. It would have been so easy for her to give an answer just to please the judge, but instead she was true to herself and what she believed and gave an honest answer. I, personally, think that she answered the question fairly well and should have received decent marks. I am pleased with the way she handled herself. I have to say quite the opposite for judge Perez Hilton however.

I was shocked and disgusted by the way that Perez has handled this entire situation. He obviously was not going to agree with the answer that she gave, being very open and proud about his sexual orientation; this doesn't mean that he needed to give her a zero. As far as I have understand about these pageants, the question and answer portion is not about whether or not you agree with opinion given; there are no right or wrong answers. The purpose of this portion of the pageant is to examine how the question is answered- correct grammar, eloquence, poise, whether or not the answer makes sense or is relevant, etc. She did answer the question, he could have at least given her a one. I thought that was poor choice on Perez's account. But of course, the drama doesn't end there!

Perez Hilton posted a video blog the next day saying the reason she lost isn't because she opposes gay marriage, but because she's a stupid b****. WOW Perez, that's very mature and great way to get people to see things your way. Seriously?!

A day or so later, I think it was the Today show, Perez says that he wishes that she had kept her religion, politics, and upbringing out of her answer. Please tell me ladies and gentlemen- how exactly would you answer such a question without taking any of those things into consideration? Maybe it's because I am so religiously and politically involved that I can't even begin to figure that out. I know that if she had given the answer that Perez said that he would have rather heard, I would have thought it was a total cop out. Who appointed this guy as a judge anyway?

I think the reason I am so frustrated about this issue, is the way Perez handled it. From what I have observed, this type of reaction happens frequently from the gay community when gay marriage is opposed. Often you hear them call the other side or the argument ignorant, stupid, homo-phobic or anti-gay- and they often want to lash out. An example of this is when Prop 8 passed in California and all of a sudden those who were against the proposition all of a sudden went after the Mormon church even going so far as to graffiti on one of the LDS temples.

I'd also like to make this clear right now- that I am not anti-gay or homophobic. I mean, I just posted a blog about my Rent being one of my favorite musicals- if I had a problem with gays in the slightest, I probably wouldn't like that show at all. I don't hate the gay people, I don't wish them any harm in any way. I can accept them as individuals, that doesn't mean that I have to like lifestyle. I view homosexuals the same way that I view smokers. I think that smoking is a filthy, disgusting habit and I would never consider taking part in it. It was also taught to me through my religion that smoking is a bad choice. That doesn't mean that I am going to shun all people I know who are smokers. I have very close friends and family that are or have been smokers and I love them to death! I don't think any less of them as people because they choose to smoke. But I will never stand up and advocate smoking when I know and have been taught that it wrong. It's the same with the gays- I know a few, I can love them and accept them, and not love their lifestyle.

I personally believe that marriage should be between a man and woman, and my opinion on that won't be swayed. It's something I believe in strongly. I will not, however attack the homosexual community. I think that is wrong. I believe in getting your point across peacefully and not by cramming it down someone's throat or making a big public scene or unfairly labeling people who think differently than you do. Because I stood by my own personal beliefs and the understandings of the teachings of my church and exercised my right to vote on issue presented to me by my state I am all of sudden labeled an ignorant homophobic bigot?

Sorry, that this turned out to be a bit of a rant. It's just so frustrating to see people being so closed minded and unaccepting of those who think differently than they do- and that goes for both sides of the argument. Is it too much to ask for a little respect and tolerance?

3 comments:

Amy O'Neill said...

I completely agree! I cannot believe the way Perez has attacked her in his blog and on the news. I think it is awesome that she stood for what she believed and didn't give the answer she knew he wanted to hear. It's sad that they (gays) want tolerance but most won't tolerate when we share our opinions on the matter.

El Genio said...

I don't think Perez' reaction was appropriate, but you have to understand the discrimination and hate that gay people like him have spent a lifetime experiencing.

I'm perfectly ok with whatever religious belief you want to have, but I and many other people get upset when that belief is written into the state constitution. D&C 134 says, "We do not believe it just to mingle religious influence with civil government..." - a statement I wish we payed more attention to over the last year.

Meg said...

Thank you- I hadn't seen the clip since we don't have TV and I'm totally out of the loop when it comes to what's going on. I love the comparison you made between smoking and homosexuality- that was a really great analogy.